Truth Or Myth: Carpets Aggravate Allergy Symptoms
- It is a commonly held belief that carpets aggravate allergy and asthma symptoms – but, is this really true? An increasing body of evidence now suggests that just the opposite may be the case! Carpets aggravating allergy symptoms is just a long-held health myth – dirty carpets are, however, a different story! Getting your carpets cleaned is not only good for the carpets and the appearance of your home, but your health also!
- For years, doctors advised their patients suffering from allergies to get rid of carpeting in their homes for health reasons. Because of the alleged connection between carpets and allergy and asthma attacks, the Swiss government gave orders to remove all the carpets from the government buildings and public institutions. Are carpets to blame for allergy and asthma flare-ups?
- Indeed, carpets can act as a trap for airborne dust particles in your home, including pollutants and allergens. These particles will float in the air before gravity makes them settle in your carpets, where they can be easily vacuumed out and otherwise cleaned. However, a carpet itself does not cause allergy or asthma symptoms to aggravate, rather – it is the unsettled airborne particles that cause these ailments.
- The connection made years ago between carpets and allergies is an unfortunate one. Carpets can even help you in reducing the symptoms of asthma and allergy, by filtering the allergens from the indoor air, and trapping them in and around their fibers. It can be argued convincingly that having carpets in your home actually contributes to the better indoor air quality!
- Every step on the carpet sends the allergens back into the air. To prevent the particles trapped in your carpets to become airborne again, and thus cause the indoor air quality to worsen and your allergy symptoms to flare-up, it is important to regularly maintain the carpeting.
- Remove the allergens from your home by increasing the vacuum frequency, “deep clean” the carpets from time to time, and – at least once a year – get them cleaned professionally by a cleaning service! This is particularly important if you, or a member of your household, suffers from allergies.
- This way, not only will your carpets look better and last longer, but the indoor air quality will improve and you will create a healthier home environment. If you’re like most homeowners and prefer having a carpet on your floor, you can now breath a sigh of relief!